The folks of Bike Medicine sent us a degreaser called, Golden Degreaser.
Here’s the specs:
* Industrial strength performance for maximum efficiency
* Ultra fast degreasing and cleaning action
* Ultra fast water wash-off
* Non-poisonous and biodegradable
* Convenient folding spout, dispenses a controlled flow
* Designed to be used full strength
* Makes short work of the toughest drivetrain cleanup problems that cycling has to offer
* Most drivetrains clean up with only Â½ ounce of Golden Degreaser
* One eight ounce bottle is enough to clean 16 road or MTB drivetrains
* Makes bike cleanings very fast and very easy
* Golden Degreaser is gentle on hands
* The perfect companion product for Purple Extreme Lubricant
I spoke to Bruce of Bike Medicine and he told me all the capabilities of their products so I decided to give it a shot and see how well it does against my imagination.
First I cleaned out a dirty cassette, I made sure I followed the directions. You can pretty much see how dirty it is. There’s even a hint of rust on some of the links in the chain.
I applied the Golden Degreaser on the drivetrain.
Used the brush they provided, spun the cranks to get through all of the nooks and crannies.
You can already see the stuff breaking down the gunk.
Made sure I got the underside of the chain and the pulley.
Got my handy dandy garden sprayer. I like to use this because if I use a hose, there are chances of me spraying pressurized water into my bearings.
Wipe it down with a rag. Check out the cassette, you can already see how clean it is.
Here’s the final results….Super CLEAN!
So here’s the REAL TEST!
I took my Redline 925, Fixed Gear bike and caked part of the drive train with some automotive bearing grease.
Poured the Golden Degreaser…
Check this out…After one stroke of the cranks with the brush in place, you can already see how clean the top chain is!
Once I sprayed it with water and dried it….look at it! It’s just amazing!
I have NEVER seen a bike degreaser do what the Golden Degreaser just did. Folks, I was just floored on how well this degreaser performed. I mean, c’mon! IT’S AUTOMOTIVE GREASE, and it took it right off! That has to count for something, right?
I even tested out the degreaser on my other bikes that had some dry lube on it like White Lightning. I was amazed how the wax just melted right off. No residue or anything. Plain and simply, gone.
So in my opinion, I think this stuff works better than anything I’ve seen. The Golden Degreaser is just as good as having a solvent tank in your garage. If you are in need of a bicycle degreaser, then make sure you get the Golden Degreaser, trust me, you’ll love it!
We’ll also be checking how well it can restore a drive train on a Vintage Schwinn Moe has. So stay tuned!