Customize your bike for about $6

Posted by RL Policar On November - 5 - 2009

So here’s a super cheap and fun way to quickly add some pizazz to your bike.

Get yourself some engine or brake caliper enamel from your local auto parts store. I chose a funky green. I would have preferred pink to match the theme of my bike.

Then I removed my caliper and rotor. I made sure I taped off part of the rotor where the prongs met the brake surface for accuracy.

I followed it up with a full tape job.

I then disassembled my caliper, removing the pads and I cleaned up with a degreaser. After taping off some of the moving parts, I started to paint!

I also pained the inside of the rotor. I used a bottle to to allow it to lay flat, but not so the other side would be touching the surface.

It took a few coats of paint, but I think the final result looks pretty good.

11 Responses to “Customize your bike for about $6”

1. Jeremy says:

Ooh, dang. That does look pretty sweet! Good idea to use the brake caliper paint as those rotors will heat up.

I call that bike my Watermelon. Pink cables and grips (fruit), green rotors and calipers(rind)…black frame (seed).

3. Priscilla says:

NICE! I want pink accents on mine!

I had the toughest time finding the pink. I may have to special order it.

5. Dial Tone says:

Simple but it does stand out. Thanks for the idea! How durable is the paint? Will it chip off easily?

I see you already installed the magnetic pedals, write up coming soon?

DT,

Tonight will be the first time I’ll be riding with the newly painted rotors and caliper, so we’ll see how it goes. Same thing for the pedals. I had issues installing the cleats, I’ll have to use a Dremel to grind off part of my shoes.

7. Yah, I like it! Nice work.

8. [...] to accept it as it is.  There are a few out there that seek to stand out and RL Policar over at Mtn Bike Riders provides a simple hack to help give your boring disc brakes some [...]

9. Ish says:

How did this hold up?

it held up for years.Color stayed bright.