If you’ve been riding for a while, joking with your buddies is a natural occurrence. In fact, if you’re friends like you, they mess with you. I know it sounds dumb, but its true. I’ll give you an example. Moe and I have been friends for years, and if you’ve ever spent time with us, then you know that we’re always bagging on each other. It’s not so much we’re trying to tear one another down, no, but its more of a fun joking.
I’ll give you an example, before his shoulder surgery, Joe offered Moe his rollers to use after to stay in shape. Moe responds by saying, “If I don’t stay in shape, I’ll end up racing in the 200 Club (Clyde) with RL.” Moe was basically implying that he doesn’t want to get fat like me. I laughed and had a good come back, “As long as you get out of my way as I’m bombing down the hill, then we won’t have a problem.” So there’s a perfect example of getting bagged on both ways. Moe ragged on me, and I gave it right back to him. That conversation has been long forgotten and no one was butt hurt.
I’m sure you’re wondering, “How do I get a thick skin like that?” Well its easy, don’t take yourself too serious and have a sense of humor. So if you’re buddy rags on you about being fat, slow, or about your abilities, just laugh about it, cuz’ I’m sure its all true, but when you respond, you don’t say anything to really hurt his feelings, just take little jabs at him. Let’s practice. Pretend you’re out with your friends, you’re not necessarily a jump kinda guy. Your buddy rags on you and calls you a chick or something like that. You have 3 choices when you respond, do you say:
1. No I’m not!
2. Takes one to know one.
3. Yeah, well at least this chick don’t wear spandex….(guys hate it when you tease them about wearing spandex)
If you would have answered #1, then you’re not getting the joke of the situation. If you answered #2, that was good, kinda weak, but a great start. If you answered #3, that would be the best response. What else can he say? Nothing…that’s right absolutely nothing.
Though bagging on each other can be fun, just set some boundaries between your friends. For example, we NEVER use the following as a subject of our bagging:
1. Wife/Girlfriend (unless its about your friend being whipped or about him being the one that wears the skirt in the relationship.)
2. Mothers and Fathers. We just don’t go there.
3. Kids. I once made a joke about how a friend should take the short bus. Well turns out he has a handicap son that does take the short bus…man I felt really bad.
4. Don’t emasculate too much. It’s ok to call your buddies “girls” or “ladies.” But we don’t use name calling like F@& or the like.
If that’s too many rules, just remember this, if you can’t handle it, then don’t dish it. Its one thing if you guys are engaging in joking, but when the joke is on you, don’t be a poor sport.