The last time we talked about the full suspension tandem, we were still figuring out the final details on what it’s going to take to build this tandem. I headed over to Nick D’s shop and we did some measuring and some cutting.
One of the things Nick D wanted to do was measure our 2Fast4U tandem and improve on it’s geometry on the new tandem.
Not sure what this tool is called, but it some how measures the angles of things. So far the old tandem is sitting at 71 degrees. We want the new tandem to sit at 69 degrees. Don’t ask me how, but Nick D has it all figured out.
This is what we call our Pink Prints. This has a photo of the old tandem with measurements. One thing Nick and I remember from racing with it was the Stoker cockpit was a bit too cramped. Adding at least 2 inches to the rear would solve that problem.
The following morning, we went for a ride. All that thinking makes my head hurt. Here’s a photo of Doc Thunda fixing Nick D’s busted chain. I would have helped but I didn’t want to get dirty.
Here’s what I call the “Felt so wrong but oh so good” moment. Nick D, started cutting the frames. There’s just something naughty about cutting a perfectly good working frame…but it felt good to cut them. It was like a hot knife through butter.
Here’s the aftermath…OH THE HORROR!
Now that the frames are cut, we wanted to get an idea on how it would look. Check it out!
The next step would be to create the jig, mount the frames and start fitting the tubes. We’re pretty excited to do this project and I have to say, out of all our builds, this one takes the cake!