I Reken I have ANOTHER bike project in the works

Posted by RL Policar On September - 16 - 2008

13 Responses to “I Reken I have ANOTHER bike project in the works”

Is that a Dura Ace cassette? Aren’t some of the cogs made of titanium? With a lot of grit, you’re not gonna be happy when those cogs wear out prematurely.

Yes Dura Ace. Our experience with them is about 6-8 months of life before having to change them out.

Is there an advantage (besides a little bit of weight) to using Dura Ace rather than something else? I want way more than 6 months out of an expensive cassette!

Tighter gearing. You’re not jumping 3-4 teeth per gear. You can maintain a smoother cadence when shifting through the gears. The 27t helps with faster climbing.

Priscilla runs Dura Ace and she’s wicked fast!

What I’m getting at is: couldn’t you use another road cassette, like an Ultegra or even 105…something made of steel that isn’t so dadblamed expensive and is more durable?

No sir, nothing but the best for RL.

But you’re always talking about being broke…is THIS why? ;)

I already have a cassette that I got for free. So the cost isn’t affecting my personal finances. It’s the Slurpees and Temporary Tattoos that hurt my pocket book….

9. Moe says:

Funny, the cassette is worth more than the frame….

hehe…cuz that’s how I roll….I do have to make a correction. It’s not a Dura Ace, but its an Ultegra cassette. My bad!

Alrighty, then…now we’re onto something. An Ultegra is a GREAT choice for such a setup — tight gearing and none of that silly, wear-prone titanium!

12. Lance says:

Hey GR…is titanium really prone to rubbing and wear? More so than aluminum or steel?

I have a titanium wedding band(can’t afford the Ti bike parts) and it hasn’t shown any where. Then again it hasn’t had cables or shoes rubbing against it.

Titanium cogs seem to wear out pretty fast (but nowhere near as fast as aluminum ones). Everyone thought this was going to be a “wondermaterial” for wear-prone components, but the truth of the matter is that it is not. Some company called Viking made a titanium drive chain back in the day ($200 or so in 1994 dollars), but it didn’t succeed.

I have a titanium wedding band and a titanium ring for my right hand, and they’re both scratched and gouged to hell. I take them off for most chores, too. The only one that has survived is a tungsten ring my wife bought me…sharp enough to cut glass and only a couple tiny scratches despite some brutal use.