Memorial Day Fun DH Session at Fontana

Posted by RL Policar On May - 26 - 2009

We gathered up the crew and invited some friends to try out downhill riding at the World Famous Southridge course in Fontana, Ca. We were joined by my former Downhill Race Rival/Buddy Johnny Dow as well as Tim Scissors, Mark West and Val M.

This was Priscilla’s second time riding DH and she has remarkably improved since her first time. She was more confident and was even building up speed as she attacked certain portions of the trail. For the most part it was Tim, Mark and Val’s first time out on a DH course. Some of the stuff we did can be intimidating, but when you have a great support system, anyone can be successful.

Memorial Day DH session at Fontana from RL Policar on Vimeo.

I took a spill that morning, my front tire went into a run and I tried to ditch the bike run, but since I was on a descent, I lost my footing, tumbled, hit my head and right shoulder, tumbled, and came to a sliding stop. I sat there for a few seconds, took inventory and found that I was ok. My Sette Impact Suit really protected me. Thanks to the Dainese Raptor helmet…I’m still here!

Everyone else did really great. In fact you can see all the photos from this weekend, courtesy of Joe Solancho, HERE.

14 Responses to “Memorial Day Fun DH Session at Fontana”

1. Art Aguilar says:

I’m glad to here our helmet saved your head RL.

2. Randy Policar says:

That was a pretty cool video. Looked like you guys had a blast. Despite the crash. :p I should have gone with you guys. Maybe next time.

3. Jeremy says:

You weren’t just waving “hi” to the camera?

4. johnny dow 2 says:

rad pics, it was super fun! Everyone rode great!

Actually, I heard the Ice Cream Truck coming, so I decided to jump off my bike and run towards it…Haha…no sir. I’m feeling it today too. My right shoulder took the brunt of the crash. But I tell you what, the helmet and pads saved me from bloody injuries.

I have to mention that I was terribly bummed out that I tore up my new jersey….

7. Wesley Castro says:

Are you guys still going out to Woodward on this weekend for the Downhill Race.

8. The Moe says:

Hey Wes,
    Joe, Kim, Tony and myself will be racing. We already have the hotels and ready to rock Woodward.

9. The Moe says:

By the way RL, is the bike OK?

Thanks for asking Moe. Yes the bike is way ok!

11. johnny dow 2 says:

more pics from the lower rock garden at http://www.photosbyjd2.com

12. scissors says:

The DH guys truly impressed me that day. It was great to learn some new DH techniques that could be applied to XC as well. Jer found and shared some sweet single track at Bonelli that you DH guys would rip, just bring your fs xc bike though as there’s gonna be some climbing.

13. johnny dow 2 says:

hey all just let me know what pics you want iand i will make sure to GIVE them to you.

14. Lady P says:

I had so much fun guys!!! Way more fun this time. Looking forward to the next run! :D