As much as I love mountain biking, I realized there are some pitfalls to the sport. But I found these out AFTER the fact that I started riding. Perhaps if someone told me about them, I may have gotten into bowling or mopeds….ya I can picture…mopedriders.com….
With that in mind, don’t get into mountain biking because…
1.Expensive to get into.
2.Parts break all the time.
3.Parts wear out.
5.Throwing up after a climb on your single speed.
11. Poison Oak.
12. Bug bites.
13. Moldy water bladder.
14.Walking after your bike breaks down.
15. Driving 50 miles to ride 10 miles.
16.Loss of money.
17. Poor resale value of products.
18.Addicted to mountain biking websites.
19.Always looking out for a good deal.
20. Getting into online fights about what is better, 26,650, 29er.
21. Convincing the wife to let you go riding.
22.Trying to get the girlfriend into riding.
23.Hoping that your kids will become the next world champion.
24. Sweaty balls.
25. Chamois…how come it’s not spelled SHAMMY?
26.Bicycle that cost more than my car.
27.Garage becomes your own personal shop.
28. Can’t decide on which jersey to wear.
29. Cycling socks…you don’t need them. There’s no Sock-Police to tell you that you HAVE to wear them. Just use regular socks.
30. You don’t like people.
31. You don’t like douche bags.
32. You are a douche bag.
36. Air shocks.
37. Tubeless tires that leak.
38. Too many types of lube to choose from.
39. XT, XTR,XO,X7,STX,KKK,ABC, BBW,DEORE,RED…too many product lines to remember.
40. Not being able to breathe after a climb.
41. Can’t bunny hop.
42. Can’t wheelie.
43. Can’t change a flat.
44. Can’t fix your bike.
45. No power tools involved when fixing a bike….pssh. mOaR POWaH!!!
46. Garage full of bikes.
47. 1Bed Room Apt full of bikes, no room for furniture.
48. Bike hoarding.
49. Excess parts…you’ll never need that 7speed freewheel again, but you hold on to it just in case!
50. Fun. Yes…it’s too fun.
But don’t you worry, I’m not a Negative Nancy, I did find one reason why you should get into it and it’s probably the main reason why I tell people to try it…and that’s #50…yep, It’s fun! I can’t even count how many times I’ve had a fun time riding with Lady P and my friends. From all the memories of racing, biking trips and the great conversations I’ve had over the years, I simply love mountain biking.